The Senior Technical Product and UX Writer position is an internal- and external-facing position within Retail Cloud Technologies, DBA Teamwork Commerce.
Position is remote. Candidate needs to be working in Pacific or Mountain time. Ideally the candidate has ability to be flexible to accommodate international team. Retail Cloud Technologies, LLC is headquartered in Clearwater, FL.
The ideal candidate holds a Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, Writing, or related field, as well as 5 years technical writing experience for software applications — ideally for designers of software applications.
The purpose of the role is to be the owner of software design documents for a new version of an iOS App and supporting software tools, ensuring their completeness, conciseness, and assimilability (frictionless knowledge transfer). The tech writer works with Software Designers, Business Analysts, Developers, Quality Assurance staff, and occasionally clients to achieve this goal.
The role is part of the Product Design team which means candidate is comfortable talking with clients to clarify and capture requirement, and participate in design and UX decisions.
The Design Team Technical Product and UX Writer duties include the following, as well as any other duties which forward the purposes of those actions listed above and contained in the list below:
- Meets and works with software designers, business analysts, developers, and quality assurance staff in their daily activities of generating software design documents.
- Working with Software Designers and Business Analysts to ensure each software feature design is complete with:
- Purpose of the feature
- Use cases
- Procedural steps to use the feature
- Configuration requirements to use the feature
- Design checklists
- Call outs to other teams impacted by the implementation of the new feature
- Suitability of the written design document for multiple audiences (for instance developers/quality assurance, but also for users) is a must
- Follows up with Business Analyst to ensure all client questions and requirements are answered by the design document.
- Works internally to ensure requirements and specifications are clearly described in the design documents for Developers and Quality Assurance.
- Works with other Writers responsible for Release Guides and Manuals to ensure Design Documents are complete and provide required downstream information.
Qualifications and Skills
- Responsible for the consistency and readability of labels, options, messages, and errors that appear in the software UI.
- Catalogs terminology across the software application to ensure consistency in new and updated designs.
- Provides UI input as requested by the designers.
- Provides user experience input on software workflows and other user-facing elements.
- Participates in Design Reviews.
- Acts in a design QA role to ensure UI samples and process statements are consistent with prior designs and across the application.
- Writes and/or assists with customer-facing design proposals as requested.
- Maintains a library of reference materials for the design team resulting from meetings, such as video, requirements statements, and design decisions.
- Clear understanding of writing for localization and non-native English speakers is a must.
- Familiarity with Excel, Google sheets and Confluence a plus.
- The Design Team Tech Writer is a member of the Tech Writing team, reporting toTech Writing management, with a matrixed responsibility to the software designeror designers to which they are assigned.